Sunday, June 16, 2013

Brownies

I've done it! Vegan, gluten-free brownies!This is one of those difficult recipes that just didn't want to work for me.  Based on this post from Oh She Glows, I've tweaked and tested it more times than I can count, and will probably continue to do so. Contrary to my natural instincts, I recommend that you follow the recipe and directions as closely as possible. It is essential to bake these in a thin, metal pan, NOT glass, unless you want a strange, goopy mess.

Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp flax seed meal in 3tbps water

1c dark chocolate - I use 1.5 bars of 70% Divine chocolate
6tbsp vegan butter
1/2c nondairy milk

1c sugar
1/4c agave (you can use more sugar if you prefer)
1tsp vanilla extract

1 1/4c flour*
1/8tsp baking soda
3/8tsp xanthum gum

Flour mixture
These are the mixes that I've used that worked
1/2c oat flour, 1/2c sorghum, 1/4c millet
1/4c each of sorghum, brown rice and quinoa; 1/2c oat flour

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325

Mix the flax meal and water in a small bowl and set aside for a few minutes. Microwave the chocolate, butter, and milk until the chocolate is melting. Stir the chocolate mixture, then stir in the sugar, agave, and vanilla. Add the flax mixture and mix well. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and xanthum gum, then add the flour to the chocolate. The batter will be thick; I've successfully baked it as is, but I also added some extra milk without problems. Spray a thin metal pan - not glass - or a metal muffin tin. Scoop the batter into the pan and bake for around half an hour (I never actually time things; just bake until the top looks done and a toothpick comes out clean). They tend to be fragile when still warm, but they stick together better when they're cool.

1 comment: