Thursday, June 13, 2013

VGF Lemon Cake

I rarely meet my own expectations when it comes to cooking. Sure, the things I make taste good, but they almost never taste exactly as I had imagined. This cake is one of those exceptions. I can't do it justice in words, so you'll just have to try it yourself to see what I mean. This recipe makes two dozen cupcakes or two 10in rounds.



Vegan Gluten-Free Lemon Cake (adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)

1 can coconut milk (not light)
2t apple cider vinegar
1c vegan butter (you could also use canola oil)
1 1/2c sugar
1t vanilla
zest of 1 lemon
juice from 1 lemon
3T tapioca starch (you could use cornstarch or potato starch)
1 1/2t baking powder
1t baking soda
/2 t salt
1c oat flour
1c sorghum flour
1/2c white rice flour
water (1/2cish)

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 350.
2)Pour the milk into a bowl and add the apple cider vinegar. Mix and let sit for a few minutes.
3) Melt the butter and mix it, the sugar and the vanilla into the coconut milk mixture. Add the lemon zest and juice.
4) Add the dry ingredients and mix. I usually add everything but the flour and mix, then add the flours.
5) Mix in water until the batter is decently thin - I find thinner batter rises better.
6) Bake for 20 minutes (I didn't actually time it) - when it looks done and a toothpick comes out clean, leave it in for a few more minutes. It's a very moist cake, so if you want it drier leave it in longer.
7) Let it cool, then top with lemon glaze (recipe below). Wait for the glaze to set before serving.

Lemon Glaze

2c powdered sugar
1T non-dairy milk
1T lemon juice
2T corn syrup (next time I'll try agave)

Mix all the ingredients together. These measurements are guesses - taste it and see if it needs more of anything. It shouldn't be too runny, but too thick and it's impossible to spread. Just play around with it until it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment