Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Olive Garden is Vegan-Friendly

Google search "Olive Garden vegan" and you'll come up with a whole long list of people saying that Olive Garden is awful for not being vegan or even vegetarian-friendly. That is utterly, completely, totally wrong. At least as far as most typical American restaurants go. All of their pastas, besides the gnocchi, are eggless, the bread is eggless, they have vegetables (quite rare, I assure you) and generally friendly staff (in all of my experience). I went there with my omni brother, dad, grandparents, and vegetarian mother, and everyone found something to be happy about.
I had the Bruschetta, toasted bread with tomato topping, for an appetizer, and the Pasta alla Marinara with a side of grilled vegetables (zucchini) for my main course. We asked our server to bring us two bowls of salad, one with dressing and one without (their house dressing is not vegan), so I ate the plain salad. You can probably ask for a dressing without cheese and egg, just a basic vinaigrette would work. If your not a salad person, their Minestrone soup is vegan. Also we asked for the server to bring a basket of bread sticks without butter and cheese on top - they just have to nab a couple before they get topped, then they bake them and viola! Vegan bread sticks. Overall it was delicious, and a great place for everyone to get something to eat.
I know this isn't a recipe, but it's still important. I wanted to set the record straight for any other vegans out there. So any vegans with omni friends, or omnis with vegan friends, can happily dine at Olive Garden without fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment