Sunday, July 21, 2013

Protein-Packed Spinach Sauce

In case you didn't already know, I am vegan, and gluten-free as of last summer. Lately I've also been avoiding soy  for health reasons. It hasn't been that hard, but without eating soy or gluten (think seitan) I've had to work extra hard to make sure I get enough protein. This is an exceedingly simple and delicious recipe that packs a good protein punch. It's great as a sauce for pasta, veggies, or pizza.

Protein-Packed Spinach Sauce

16 c raw spinach leaves (we bought the largest box of spinach at Whole Foods and used the whole thing)
1 1/3 c frozen green peas
1 T olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp oregano
1 serving protein powder*

1) Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for a few minutes, then set aside.
2) In a blender or food processor, blend the spinach leaves and peas. I used a vita-mix, but you could also blend small portions and combine them in a big bowl.
3) Add the onion and garlic with oil and spices and mix or blend to combine with the sauce.
4) If using, add the protein powder and blend or mix.
5) Serve over pasta or veggies, or on pizza.

*Since I've been struggling with protein, I've started to add protein powder to some foods, but you can easily omit it. Currently I'm using Sunwarrior classic raw vegan protein, which I got at whole foods. It's made from sprouted brown rice, and has 17g of protein per serving, but it does add a graininess to foods similar to rice flour.



No comments:

Post a Comment